When I was growing up this was one of my favorite desserts. The candy like marshmallow chocolate topping helps the cake stay fresh. As part of its College Care service, my mom's business, Nancy's Corner, used to deliver this cake to local college students. I made this cake for my daughter's birthday this year. To test that it ships well, I sent one to my nephew for his 7th birthday.
My mom uses the "Heavenly Hash Cake" recipe from The Cotton Country Collection cookbook by the Junior League of Monroe, LA. I started with the NOPSI recipe from the cookbook From Woodstoves to Microwaves Cooking with Entergy. After consulting with my mom, I came up with my version for an 8"x8" cake based on these recipes. I substituted flour and baking powder for self-rising flour, heated the milk and butter before adding it to the powdered sugar and cocoa, and used large marshmallows.Recipe Name
The recipe reminds me of the chocolate marshmallow Elmer's Heavenly Hash eggs I received in my Easter basket every year when I was young.Helpful Hints
For the chocolate topping, heat the butter with the evaporated milk before adding to powdered sugar and cocoa. This results in a pourable frosting. Mixing cold or room temperature milk with the butter can cause the butter to re-solidify resulting in a lumpy topping.
Cut your marshmallows in advance, so they slightly melt when put on on cake.Ingredients
|1/2||Cup||Butter, one stick|
|21-24||Large marshmallows, about 1/2 a 10 ounce bag|
|1/8||Cup||Butter, 2 Tbsps|
- Grease and flour an 8" x 8" baking pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together flour, 1/8 cup cocoa powder, and baking powder.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and mix until smooth.
- Add vanilla and mix.
- Slowly add sifted ingredients and mix.
- Pour the thick batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes.
- While baking, cut marshmallows in half using kitchen scissors.
- Immediately after removing the cake from the oven, put cut marshmallows on top of cake in a single layer, cut side down.
- For topping, sift together powder sugar and 1/8 cup cocoa powder.
- Heat butter and evaporated milk until butter is melted. I do this in a cup in the microwave.
- Using an electric mixer, mix butter and milk into sugar and cocoa until smooth.
- Pour topping on top of marshmallows.
- Allow to sit overnight or until topping is hard.