Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Indian Cabbage with Coconut

I made this dish last night. It takes less than 10 minutes to cook once you have the vegetables chopped. Your dad says that green beans are often cooked in a similar way.

Coconut

When I was growing up, the only type of coconut I knew was Baker's sweetened shredded coconut that was used on cakes and in baked sweets. Since I did not like the sweetness and texture of this product, I thought I did not like coconut.

Since meeting your dad, I have enjoyed eating fresh and dried coconut in Indian dishes. One of the kitchen tools your grandparents brought us when they visited from India was a coconut grater.

I use dry, desiccated, powdered coconut in this recipe. You can buy this coconut at the local Ingles near the chocolate chips and other baking supplies; however, you get about twice the amount for the same cost at an Indian grocery or HMart. 

Ingredients

4 Cups Cabbage, finely chopped
½ Onion, large, finely chopped
1Hot pepper, serrano or jalapeƱo, finely chopped
2 Tbsp Vegetable oil
¼CupCoconut, dry powdered
1TspSalt
1/8 - ¼TspCayenne pepper
1TbspCilantro leaves, chopped

Directions
  1. Heat oil on high. When hot, add onions. Cook until onion edges start to brown, about 3 minutes.
  2. Turn heat down slightly. Add cabbage, hot pepper, coconut, salt, and cayenne pepper. Stir to mix. Cook about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is slightly soft.
  3. Serve topped with chopped cilantro leaves.
For beans, add water in step 2, cover your pot, and slightly steam the beans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment