Saturday, February 8, 2014

Cinnamon Nut Coffee Cake

Cinnamon Nut Coffee Cake

When I was growing up, my mom occasionally made Bisquick Streusel Coffee Cake for a breakfast treat. Since I usually do not have Bisquick, I was happy to find a similar Coffee Cake recipe in the February 2001 issue of Family Fun magazine.

I altered my version by using part wheat flour and adding an extra tablespoon of butter in the batter. In the topping, I reduced the cinnamon and added nutmeg. I also increased the baking time since my cake takes 40 to 45 minutes to bake versus the 25 to 30 in the original recipe.

Ingredients
1 1/3 CupsWhite flour
2/3 CupWheat flour
1 TspBaking powder
1/2 TspBaking soda
1/2 TspSalt
3/4 CupSugar
2 TbspsMelted butter
1 Egg, room temperature
1 1/2 CupsButtermilk
Topping
1/3 CupBrown sugar
1/2 CupChopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)
1 TspGround cinnamon
1/4 TspGround nutmeg
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease and flour a 9-inch cake pan.
  2. In a medium-sized bowl, mix brown sugar, chopped nuts, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, mix white flour, wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
  4. In a medium-sized bowl, mix melted butter, egg, and buttermilk.
  5. Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir to mix. Pour the batter into the cake pan.
  6. Sprinkle topping evenly over batter. Press topping gently into batter so that it is moist. If the topping is too dry, it crumbles off the cake. If desired, run a knife through the batter and topping to get a swirl effect.
  7. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment