My vegetarian daughter came home from college this past weekend. I used the other half of a batch of Indian Cream Sauce with Garlic, Ginger, and Tomatoes that I had stored in the freezer to prepare this dish.
The dish is a variation of my standard Indian company entree, chicken with cream sauce. The tofu version has an extra 1/4 teaspoon black pepper added to the sauce. My husband, daughter, and I enjoyed the meal. I am looking forward to trying the sauce with paneer and boiled eggs.Ingredients
|1||Lb||Firm tofu, cut into 1" cubes, about 32 cubes|
|1||Tsp||Salt for marinade|
|1/2||Tsp||Ground red or cayenne pepper|
|2||Tbsps||Vegetable oil for marinade|
|3-5||Tbsps||Vegetable oil, for browning tofu, as needed|
|4||cups||Indian cream sauce with garlic, ginger, and tomatoes|
|1||Tsp||Salt for sauce|
|1/4||Tsp||Ground black pepper|
|3-6||Pods||Cardamon, lightly crushed, optional|
- Put tofu pieces in a flat container with a lid. Mix 1 teaspoon salt, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne in small bowl. Sprinkle spices on top of tofu. Add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, cover, and shake to mix. Put in fridge, and marinate overnight or for at least one hour.
- In a large pot, heat 3 tablespoons oil on medium high. Add as many tofu pieces as will fit in a single layer. Turn to brown on all sides. Remove browned pieces. Continue until all tofu is browned. Add more oil as needed.
- Add water and Indian cream sauce to pot. Bring to a simmer. Add tofu, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add cream, 1 teaspoon of salt, black pepper, garam masala, and cardamon pods, if desired. Simmer for about 10 minutes until sauce is slightly thick and creamy. Stir often.
- Adjust seasonings to taste before serving. Serve over rice.