Monday, January 13, 2014

Pan Pizza, Pizza Hut Style

Pan Pizza, Pizza Hut Style

Before my daughter joined the high school band and Friday night football entered our life, fall Fridays were pizza night at our house. I have had good results with the recipe for Pizza Hut pan pizza that I found on-line. I use less oil than the original and add cayenne pepper to the dough.

Since this recipe makes 3 small pizza, it easy to customize the pizza toppings to your family's preferences. My husband and son like jalapeño slices on their pizza. Sometimes I add meat to one for my husband and me.

Two pizza are usually enough for my family of four. The extra pizza can be frozen. I just gave my daughter an extra pizza to back to college with her.

Pizza Sauce

I use jarred pizza sauce or make my own sauce. Use a thick sauce, so the top of the pizza does not get soggy. I like to use strained homemade tomato sauce that I make and freeze in the summer with tomatoes from our garden.

Ingredients
1 1/3CupsWarm water
1TbspDry yeast
1/4CupNon-fat powdered milk
1TbspSugar
4CupsWhite flour
1TspSalt
1/2TspCayenne pepper, optional
2TbspsOlive oil for dough
6TbspsOlive oil for pans
1CupPizza sauce, homemade or canned
Pizza toppings
1 1/2CupsMozzarella cheese, about 8 oz.
Directions
  1. In a small pitcher or pyrex measuring cup, mix lukewarm water, yeast, powdered milk, and sugar. Let sit 5-10 minutes until yeast starts working; liquid gets frothy as bubbles begin to form.
  2. While waiting, put flour, salt, and cayenne pepper in KitchenAid mixing bowl.
  3. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to yeast liquid. Using flat beater at low speed, mix yeast liquid into flour mixture until just moist. Cover with a towel, and wait 5 minutes.
  4. Switch to dough hook, and knead for about 5 minutes. The dough is ready when it is soft and elastic. If dough is too stiff, add water 1 teaspoon at a time. If dough is too sticky, add flour 1 tablespoon at a time.
  5. Divide dough into 3 pieces.
  6. For each pizza, put 2 tablespoons olive oil in a 9 inch cake pan. Knead a piece of dough by hand about 10 times. Using a rolling pin, roll dough into a circle. The circle should be slightly larger than the cake pan since the dough contracts when put in the pan.
  7. Cover pizzas with a kitchen towel, and let rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
  8. Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
  9. Spread about 1/3 cup sauce on each pizza, and put on toppings.
  10. Bake pizzas 10 minutes with just sauce and toppings.
  11. Sprinkle about 1/2 cup cheese on each pizza, and bake 7-10 more minutes. Pizza is ready when cheese is melted and bottom is golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment