Before my daughter joined the high school band and Friday night football entered our life, fall Fridays were pizza night at our house. I have had good results with the recipe for Pizza Hut pan pizza that I found on-line. I use less oil than the original and add cayenne pepper to the dough.
Since this recipe makes 3 small pizza, it easy to customize the pizza toppings to your family's preferences. My husband and son like jalapeño slices on their pizza. Sometimes I add meat to one for my husband and me.
Two pizza are usually enough for my family of four. The extra pizza can be frozen. I just gave my daughter an extra pizza to back to college with her.Pizza Sauce
I use jarred pizza sauce or make my own sauce. Use a thick sauce, so the top of the pizza does not get soggy. I like to use strained homemade tomato sauce that I make and freeze in the summer with tomatoes from our garden.Ingredients
|1 1/3||Cups||Warm water|
|1/4||Cup||Non-fat powdered milk|
|1/2||Tsp||Cayenne pepper, optional|
|2||Tbsps||Olive oil for dough|
|6||Tbsps||Olive oil for pans|
|1||Cup||Pizza sauce, homemade or canned|
|1 1/2||Cups||Mozzarella cheese, about 8 oz.|
- In a small pitcher or pyrex measuring cup, mix lukewarm water, yeast, powdered milk, and sugar. Let sit 5-10 minutes until yeast starts working; liquid gets frothy as bubbles begin to form.
- While waiting, put flour, salt, and cayenne pepper in KitchenAid mixing bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to yeast liquid. Using flat beater at low speed, mix yeast liquid into flour mixture until just moist. Cover with a towel, and wait 5 minutes.
- Switch to dough hook, and knead for about 5 minutes. The dough is ready when it is soft and elastic. If dough is too stiff, add water 1 teaspoon at a time. If dough is too sticky, add flour 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Divide dough into 3 pieces.
- For each pizza, put 2 tablespoons olive oil in a 9 inch cake pan. Knead a piece of dough by hand about 10 times. Using a rolling pin, roll dough into a circle. The circle should be slightly larger than the cake pan since the dough contracts when put in the pan.
- Cover pizzas with a kitchen towel, and let rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Spread about 1/3 cup sauce on each pizza, and put on toppings.
- Bake pizzas 10 minutes with just sauce and toppings.
- Sprinkle about 1/2 cup cheese on each pizza, and bake 7-10 more minutes. Pizza is ready when cheese is melted and bottom is golden brown.