One of my standard company recipes for an Indian dinner is "Chicken with Cream" from the cookbook Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking. My kids are vegetarian, so I also make a vegetarian side dish.
My husband suggested making the cream sauce separately, so I could use it for both a chicken dish and a vegetarian dish. Here is the adapted sauce recipe that I used for a company dinner the other night.Ingredients
|2||Bulbs||Garlic, about 24 cloves, peeled|
|4"||Piece||Ginger, peeled and cut into thick slices|
|3||Onions, large, finely chopped, about 3-3 1/2 cups|
|1||Tsp||Ground Red or cayenne pepper|
|1||28 oz. Can||Crushed tomatoes|
- Blend garlic and ginger in 1 cup of water. For blending, I use an hand-held immersion blender.
- In a large pot, heat oil on medium high heat. Add onions, and cook until onions are golden and edges start to brown, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add garlic ginger liquid. Cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid evaporates about 10 minutes.
- Add spices and stir to mix
- Turn heat to medium low. Add crushed tomatoes and cook 5 minutes.
- Add yogurt 1/4 cup at a time. Stir until yogurt is incorporated before adding more yogurt.
- Add 2 cups water and bring to a simmer. Turn heat to low, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Turn off heat, and add salt.