Saturday, January 4, 2014

Veggie Cream Cheese Spread

I made this spread the other night when my husband's business partner and his family came for dinner. I experimented with cream cheese spreads when my husband's uncle visited from India. He is a vegetarian and asked me for some sandwiches for his plane trip. I like the vegetable cream cheese served at Bruegger's Bagels and Atlanta Bread Company and came up my own spicy version.

Other Cream Cheese Spreads

When I was growing up, we often had crackers served with a block of cream cheese topped with Pickapeppa sauce or topped with pepper jelly at parties. I still serve both of these easy, inexpensive appetizers.

Veggie Cream Cheese Spread

I vary the vegetables used in my spread based on what I have at home. My spread usually has carrots since they give the dish a wonderful golden color and hot peppers since my family likes spicy food. I have also added celery, radishes, zucchini, dried tomatoes, and/or garlic into my versions. Thanks to my husband for taking the following photo.

Ingredients
1 8 ounce packageCream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 Jalapeño, finely chopped
1/2 CupGrated carrot, about 1 medium
1 TbspFinely chopped onion
1 TbspFinely chopped celery
1/2 TspSalt
Directions
  1. Place cream cheese in mixer, and mix until smooth.
  2. Add remaining ingredients, and mix well. Stop and scrape sides and mixing blade occasionally to get a uniform spread.
  3. Serve with crackers and/or vegetables.

Jalepeño Cilantro Cream Cheese Spread

This is a spicy version. Add one pepper, and try it before adding the second pepper.

Ingredients
1 8 ounce packageCream cheese, at room temperature
2 Jalapeño, finely chopped
1/4 CupFinely chopped cilantro
1/2 TspSalt
Directions
  1. Place cream cheese in mixer, and mix until smooth.
  2. Add remaining ingredients, and mix well. Stop and scrape sides and mixing blade occasionally to get a uniform spread.
  3. Serve with crackers and/or vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment